Monday, August 3, 2009

we are vegetarians at jacflash... why you should make the steps to become one too!


A year and seven months ago I decided to become a vegetarian and I think that it has been one of the most important and helpful decisions I have ever made. I have had amazing effects both physically, mentally and emotionally. Since I have become a vegetarian, my body has become more toned, my nails have become stronger, my skin is a lot better and most importantly, I feel great. I feel stronger, I never have that bloated, full and sick feeling after I eat a big meal and I have so much more energy which benefits me at work as well as aids my work outs to become longer and more efficient.
Being vegetarian has helped me to feel physically and spiritually better than I could have ever imagined knowing that I am making a choice to reduce animal suffering. I am also bettering myself by becoming healthier. There are still more steps that I could take to further improve myself. I was a vegan (no dairy or eggs) for 4 months, but with my busy schedule I found it very hard to find enough time to cook and shop for nutritious vegan substitutes and found it harder to "socialize" (it is harder to go to restaurants that your friends or co-workers choose that are not "vegan friendly") so I added eggs, cheese and yogurt to my diet (I drink almond milk instead of milk). I hope that I can slowly make the steps to become a vegan again, as it is appalling what laying hens and cows have to go through for our milk and eggs, as well as the horrible health effects that dairy products have on us.

My sister has been vegetarian and vegan for years and conscious of the positive effects of vegetarianism and veganism, which is why I decided to become a vegetarian in the first place. My cousin and jacflash partner Gillian has been a vegetarian for almost a year, after I gave her the first vegan book I read called "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. My best friend Lauren, who also works with us at jacflash, has not eaten red meat since she was 16, and my other cousin Vanessa decided that she would become a vegetarian just yesterday! If you are willing to help yourself, animals, the environment and much more please make the steps to become a vegetarian or vegan. You don't have to cut everything out in one step. You can cut out red meat, then cut out chicken and then cut out fish (here is one horrible effect that fish has on your heath) to eventually cutting dairy and eggs to become as healthy as you can be!

Here is some more info on why you should become a vegetarian/vegan:

Why You Should Consider Adopting a Vegetarian Diet

Adopting a Vegetarian Diet

Cruelty to Animals

More than 27 billion animals are killed for food every year in the U.S. alone. Animals in factory farms have no legal protection from cruelty that would be illegal if it were inflicted on dogs or cats, including neglect, mutilations, genetic manipulation, drug regimens that cause chronic pain and crippling, transport through all weather extremes, and gruesome and violent slaughter. Read more.

Amazing Animals

Farmed animals are no less intelligent or capable of feeling pain than are the dogs and cats we cherish as our companions. They are inquisitive, interesting individuals who value their lives, solve problems, experience fear and pain, and are capable of using tools. According to animal-behavior scientists, chickens begin learning from their mothers while they are still in their shells, pigs can play video games better than some primates can, and fish form social bonds and can remember things that they have learned for the human equivalent of 40 years. Read more.

Your Health

Vegetarian foods provide us with all the nutrients that we need, minus the saturated fat, cholesterol, and contaminants that are found in meat, eggs, and dairy products. Plant-based diets protect us against heart disease, diabetes, obesity, strokes, and several types of cancer. Vegetarians also have stronger immune systems and, on average, live 10 years longer than meat-eaters do. Read more.

The Environment

America’s meat addiction is poisoning and depleting our potable water, arable land, and clean air. More than half the water used in the United States goes to animal agriculture, and since farmed animals produce 130 times more excrement than the human population does, the run-off from their waste greatly pollutes our waterways. Read more.

World Hunger

Raising animals for food is extremely inefficient—for every pound of food that they eat, only a fraction of the calories are returned in the form of edible flesh. If we stopped intensively breeding farmed animals and grew crops to feed humans instead, we would easily be able to feed every human on the planet with healthy and affordable vegetarian foods. Read more.

Worker Rights

Human Rights Watch has declared that slaughterhouse workers have “the most dangerous factory job in America.” The industry has refused to do what’s necessary to create safe working conditions for its employees, such as slowing down slaughter lines and supplying workers with appropriate safety gear, because these changes could cut into companies’ bottom lines. Read more.

Factory Farms: Poisoning Communities

Factory farms pollute the air and water for many miles in every direction, often spreading contamination and illness to the people who live and work nearby. Chronic sickness, brain damage, poisoned waterways, elevated cancer rates, and even death plague these communities, while the government does nothing to protect citizens or regulate the industry. Read more.

Government Negligence

Between 2000 and 2005, agribusinesses funneled more than $140 million to politicians, who more than earned their money by helping to ensure that laws that might protect consumers, animals, and the environment did not pass. The unfortunate truth is that the federal government does very little to protect human health, animal welfare, and our environment from the factory-farming industry’s negligence and excess. Read more.

Corporate Campaigns

Since October 1999, when we launched our "McCruelty" campaign against Fortune 500 company and fast-food-giant McDonald's, PETA has waged a series of successful campaigns urging the restaurant and grocery industries to improve conditions for the animals killed for their menus and shelves. Read more.



If you are one of those people that asks questions like:

“Eating meat is natural—it’s been going on for thousands of years. Our bodies are designed that way, aren’t they?”

“I didn’t kill the animal—it was already dead. So, I’m not responsible for the death, am I?”

“What’s wrong with eating ‘free range’ eggs and ‘organic’ meat? Aren’t the animals who are used for these treated better than the animals who are used for ‘regular’ eggs and ‘regular’ meat?”


“Animals kill other animals for food, so why shouldn’t we?”

Then please click on this link to answer these questions.


for more info go to my favorite website:
goveg.com/

if you have any questions, please contact me at jaclyn@jacflash.net.


xo jac

1 comment:

Ashley Bartlett said...

Great post! I've been a vegetarian for almost 3 years now and I too feel so much healthier. I don't drink milk but I do have meals with cheese every once in a while. xx Ashley